7.11.08

Just another Friday. Just another confession.

Water Day 5: Did anyone else ever forget to drink water? I did. Only 1 litre today.

I am just finished with work and packing up my things to go home. Right before I close the email browser, a new email notification pops up. I ignore it and close the browser anyway. I am a girl on a mission. And I am late. A friend told me that a brand new computer shop just opened yesterday at the mall near our workplace and like any other new shop, they're offering big discounts on almost all the items. It is such a perfect time for me because I need to get myself few computer things without jeopardizing my monthly budget.

I rush to my car, fire up the engine, stop for a while to wipe off the smudge on my glasses and get the car in motion. The traffic is not that bad considering that it's Friday and I reach the mall in about 10 minutes. Knowing my inability to decently park a car, I begin to worry a little bit. I swear it, if I can't find a parking space away from other car, I'm going straight home. I'm not paying for another car's paint job again. Once I enter the parking area, I see a few empty slots to my relief. After making sure that I locked the car, twice, I head to the computer shop.

The place is quite okay, though I soon found out that they don't have much varieties. I leave the place in less than 30 minutes after buying a new 4gb pendrive. On the way home, I pass by the carwash place near my apartment building and reminded that my car needs a bubbly bath too. Oh, well. It's getting late. The landlord's coming to collect the rent in 30 minutes.

As I head to the elevator, the door's just closes. Fortunately it is going down to the first floor. I hope it moves back up again. I almost have to wait for so long every time I want to use the elevator. Whoever set the system is probably slow too. There are three cars and I still have to wait for a car from a floor further up even when there is another car on the floor nearer to the one I am waiting at. As I wait for it, an older couple with a kid join me waiting. I take a glance and recognized them from being in the same elevator several times with me before. The dad looks like a teddy bear with white hair. While the mom always looks serious which is such a shame because she is beautiful. I think she'll look even more beautiful if she smiles once in a while. They have three kids who are always laughing and playing around everytime I see them, which is a pleasant to see, despite the stony faced mom they have. I wonder where are the other two.

The answer comes right when the elevator arrives. Apparently when the door closed just now, the other two kids went in thinking that it's going up. Kids. They must have planned to race the parents to the front door of their home. Looks like the plan's been backfired. I hide my smile while seeing the kids laughing and panting, no doubt they were running just now. As usual, I walk straight to the far end of the elevator and keep my back to the wall.

The two kids are now talking to their dad while the youngest is busy eating MSG laden tidbits. Dad certainly likes it too because he tries to get some, much to the protest of the little boy. I peek a glance to the mom. While dad and kids are joking around, mom is still maintaining her stony feature. She even looks back disapprovingly but is ignored by the other crews. It looks like dad is everyone's favourite. I can understand why.

It leaves me wondering whether I'll be that kind of mom too. The one who's always cold and strict, doesn't know how to have fun and her kid hates her. I'm an emotional retard who don't know how to express my feelings. I act nonchalant when I like someone. I keep my distance when someone shows interest to be a good friend. Or more than that. I become mean when someone gets too close for my comfort. Confessing my feelings to anyone makes me uncomfortable. I don't think that will translate well if I were to have a baby one day. But I guess that won't be a problem since I have doubts about marriage.

The elevator stops at 9th floor and it's their floor. The daughter playfully punches her dad and runs out followed by the other two. The lady is still not smiling. But they look like one happy family. Seeing how the kids are playful and cheerful all the time, maybe she is not as cold as I think she is. Maybe she was having a tough time at work each time I saw her. Maybe she's not as cold as I think she is. I am after all, a stranger who takes a look inside through a small window.

The elevator moves up again and soon it is my floor. No one is at home yet. Perhaps it is for the best because I suddenly feel so tired. Thank God it's finally weekend.

No comments: